Scrabble, Anonymous

TLC (Teaching and Learning College)

Scrabble, Anonymous

August 07, 2024 at 09:03PM

After playing speed Scrabble against a bot for 25 years, Brad Phillips visits the New York Scrabble Club and learns something new about the game when he plays in person against other people for the first time.

This morning, before breakfast, I played nineteen games of Scrabble on my phone. I won thirteen. It took less than an hour. Over the past twenty-five years, I’ve played Scrabble every day, predominantly on ISC.RO, a website hosted in Romania that allows for games that are no longer than three minutes. On my phone, I use the Scrabble app and play a bot set to “expert.” I had meant to play only two or three games today, but as has been happening since 1999, I found that impossible.

These facts embarrass me, and I’m concerned I might appear to be bragging, announcing that I can finish a Scrabble game against a highly skilled bot in less time than it takes to brush one’s teeth. I’m not bragging. I’m confessing to being addicted to an ostensible word game that occupies more space in my brain than I’d prefer. Addicts are necessarily experts when it comes to the things that enslave them. No sommelier or “mixologist” can testify to any aspect of an alcoholic beverage with more expertise than a run-of-the-mill drunk playing keno in a dive bar.



from Longreads https://longreads.com/2024/08/07/scrabble-anonymous/
via IFTTT

Watch
Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)