Woman in the Woods

TLC (Teaching and Learning College)

Woman in the Woods

September 26, 2024 at 08:55PM

As a naturalist, Holly Haworth is an observer of patterns in the woods. In considering a series of women murdered by male domestic partners and discarded in forested areas across America, she understands that while in the woods, women have far less to fear from predators like bears and mountain lions than the men in their lives.

When I worked on a reintroduction program for Mexican gray wolves in Gila National Forest in New Mexico, I walked for miles in wolf territory, their howls surrounding me at night where I camped under the pine trees. But I knew that according to statistics there was almost no chance at all of being attacked by a wolf. When I came across a man in the backcountry with a rifle strapped to his back, I knew that I faced a real statistical danger. Eighty percent of women experience harassment or assault by a man. Yet the wolf, an ecologically important top predator, has been demonized and eradicated from most of its natural ecosystems while we have failed to address the harms of that other top predator.



from Longreads https://longreads.com/2024/09/26/woman-in-the-woods/
via IFTTT

Watch
Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)